With the platform and CSS approach covered in Part 1 (Link), I’ll go into detail about some of the key technical features and functionality we built out for the site (www.nhm.ac.uk/wpy). We’ll cover the core image gallery solution with it’s API filtering and Flickr style image layout. Then jump into the lazy loading and next gen image format topics, before finally covering the page routing architecture of this API-driven site.Continue reading “Recreating Wildlife Photographer of the Year online – part 2 – key site features”
I’ve been involved with the Wildlife Photographer of the Year brand for as long as I’ve been at the Natural History Museum, which let’s just say is a long time. I’m still very proud and privileged to work on such important and inspirational content.
This series of posts is about the recent re-platform of our ageing WPY microsite. I’ll start by setting the scene for how the project came about and then dive into some of the technical decisions. Later on I’ll talk about some of the site’s key features and what we’ve learnt with the tech and working towards a more modern API-driven web architecture. It’s been great having something so rewarding to work and focus on during these strange and difficult times in lock-down.Continue reading “Recreating Wildlife Photographer of the Year online – part 1 – Introduction and technical approach”
The Museum’s new strategy to 2031 has been announced, with a call to arms to take action against the current environmental crisis facing our planet.
In the lead up to the announcement, the Connect product team in the Digital Media department were tasked with a brief: to deliver an impactful “takeover” of the Museum’s homepage which grabbed the attention of the user while not only conveying a sense that urgent action was needed, but delivering a message of hope for the planet’s future, not despair.
At the Natural History Museum, we’re looking for opportunities to increase the richness of the user experience of our website. So when the Museum of the Moon exhibition was in planning earlier this year, we had the opportunity to improve its exhibition page.
In this post, I’d like to take you through the Digital Team’s approach to creating and testing the new look page, and users’ responses to it. Continue reading “How we created a dark theme for Museum of the Moon”
Ever experimenting with new ways of reaching to audiences, 29th March saw a small contingent from the content team and willing volunteers host a zine making workshop at the Natural History Museum Lates.
The theme of the evening was ‘Copy Cats’ and was all about exploring the ways that nature has inspired scientists and engineers to explore new solutions, from architecture to medical technologies.Continue reading “‘Copycat’ Lates: zine making workshop”
As part of the museum’s Life in the Dark exhibition digital content offer, we decided to try something new for our exhibition landing page to help promote interest and engagement. We ended up using a new mix of front end technologies to build it, so here’s a (long) technical walk through of the various challenges and solutions we encountered.Continue reading “Trying something new – building the Life in the Dark interactive splash | Digital Media at the NHM”
On 27th & 28th June I attended my first Lead Developer conference at the Barbican Centre in London. I had watched all of the previous year’s presentations so I had a good idea of what to expect – but of course, it completely exceeded my expectations!
The Digital Media and Marketing department at the Natural History Museum has started a blog, and this is our first post! Our department is made up of four cross-discipline product teams, with each team consisting of product managers, designers, developers, content writers, data analysts and marketeers. Our blog posts will give an insight into our work and life at the Museum and we hope you’ll find them interesting and useful!
On the 22nd and 23rd March the Natural History Museum held its first ever Design Jam. Organised by the Digital Media and Marketing department, the event was called “Dino Jam” to provoke discussion and to demonstrate a break from routine work. It had two main objectives: 1) to think of new ideas for our Dino Directory website (which we’re in the process of redesigning, by the way – keep your eyes peeled) and 2) to bring together as many people from as many departments across the Museum as possible. It was a very enjoyable couple of days where we learned a lot and took away loads of ideas which we’re hoping to progress in due course. Continue reading “Jammin’ at the Museum: The “DinoJam””